So I broke down and called the PC office in DC and spoke to a woman on the phone. She was super nice, and very honest. I've only called once before and that was over a month ago, but I'm glad I called today despite what she had to say.
I explained to her that I sent my updated information back in November and she saw that. I explained that I never heard from a placement officer and just wanted to make sure things were still on track. She informed me that there were still a handful of slots open in my current nomination, but that they'd most likely be looking at things after April. That's a minimum of 3 months more of waiting and putting my entire life on hold :-(
She also gave me an e-mail address so that if I don't hear anything in a week - to send an e-mail and see what, if anything, has changed. She was very understanding that I was merely looking for a date range and to make sure things are still in motion.
I was really hoping to at least have my interview by my Birthday, but clearly that's not going to happen and I feel more in the dark than ever. I kind of feel like crying.
Now I know I really have to start applying for better jobs. That's a whole other aspect of life that's frustrating because of "over-qualification". Just because I went to school and got a Masters Degree doesn't mean I won't work for less. Especially in a different field than what I originally studied. All my Masters has gotten me so far is a depressing job working night shift at a call center, a lot of rejection notices and a general grim outlook on our economy right now. Anything is better than my job now, so maybe I can find something, but that's most likely wishful thinking.
And the January curse continues...

2 comments:
I just came across your blog and read your post. So I wanted to say that I understand your feelings of frustration. I graduated from College in 2006 and have had a difficult time going anywhere from there. I was nominated to leave for Eastern Europe for March of 2011, and just got an email today telling me that all of the slots have been filled and that I am looking at a April/June departure to basically anywhere. The good thing is, they have starting selecting for April/June and should be contacting people over the next few weeks. Just hang in there! It will be totally worth the wait!
I reeeeeeeeeeally know how you feel with having your master's. After getting a M.S. in geology, all I can think about is that mountain of student debt I have and how looking for a job right now in my field would be pretty much pointless. I do hope for the best with your application, and I'm definitely confident PC will find the right place for you even if it'll take a lot longer than you hoped.
Post a Comment