Today makes me think of a bad joke about a butler. I don't remember much about the joke, but the punch line was that the butler did it because he was out checking the mail on Sunday.
I really dislike the fact that there is no mail delivery on Sunday when I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of the invitation that is going to change my life. It's getting close to that 5 business day deadline too. I was told that if it don't get it by Wednesday to call immediately. So hopefully it will be here by then.
So, I've been dealing with a lot of backlash from family and a lot of support from friends.
A little background - I'm actually an orphan. My foster family took me in before my last remaining parent passed, but they've NEVER been supportive of anything I do. My original dream was to actually become a plumber. I was, in a way, forced to go to college, though I ultimately realized it meant 8 months a year on my own so I ran with it. Then I decided to go to grad school after finding social work - and I was told not to do that. Makes sense right? When I chose to study abroad in Africa for a month - I told them 3 weeks before I left because I didn't want to hear any complaining and yelling about it. I learned I should not have said anything until after I came back. I know they're not going to be supportive of it and I have a feeling they know because they're packing up everything I have left in the house and having it transported to Ohio. I'm pretty sure that means my branch has been officially cut off from the family tree - at least from 90% of my family.
All the extended family that I talk to is supportive and one of their daughters, Kathy, who feels like a best friend and a Mom to me and I really look up to - her and her husband Matt are worried of course, but will support me no matter what. They're both so loving and accepting, it's a wonderful feeling.
I broke the news to my brother just now too. He was surprisingly supportive. He was more on the indifferent side, but he was helping me with suggestions either way. I was actually terrified that he would be mad, but I'm glad he's not. His wife is supportive too, but I knew she would be. She's pretty awesome. I think sometimes I like her more than him :-P
I'm really lucky to have an amazing amount of support from my friends like Meghan (Meggles), Keith, Jesse, Laura (my RPCV savior), Jordan, Mohammad, Todd, Cherry, Gwen (who I believe is also applying), Andrew T., Sean, Eric and a plethora of others.
So I'm just going to work on distracting myself today. I found a goodwill donation center down the street from my house today, so I might start attacking my closet and basement and bring them tons and tons of stuff. No matter what, it's one day I can't stalk the mail man, so we'll see what happens.
Thanks for listening to my rambling today. :-)

0 comments:
Post a Comment