First off, I'm leaving for Belize in 13 days and I really need to get moving, literally moving, packing and such. All my friends whoa re awesome want to hang out, but I really need to pack, pack, pack.
So, I've been MIA for a week, but for good reason. I flew home to NYC. Here are the crazy adventures I had in NYC.
Wednesday: I flew in on my scheduled flight and all went well. I didn't sleep that much that night, so I slept the whole plane ride. Right before boarding one of my sisters said I can't stay at my parents that night because my foster mom is sick. My foster dad had it a few days earlier, so it was to be expected. A plane flight, $60 cab ride and much hassle later, I'm on Long Island at my youngest nephew's school. My other sister met me there and I ended up spending the night with her and her family. I enjoyed it because I got to spend time with her kids, who I adore, even though they didn't recognize me at first. I slept on my nieces floor. I didn't want to leave because my foster mom claimed she felt better, but I knew she was lying and since I don't have health insurance, I'd rather not become ill. My sister had mercy, helped me load up on vitamins and airborne, which I then proceeded to take several of (way over dosage) for the remainder of my trip.
Things I learned on Wednesday: My 5 year old nephew wants to open a candy store and thinks I'm 77. My niece at the tender age of 11, is extremely bright and has a wonderful personality. She's extremely kind, loving and has an interesting wit. Airborne, despite the lawsuit, is still your friend when it comes to preventing illness.
Thursday: Unwillingly I went to my foster parents. HUGE mistake. My foster mom was not feeling better despite what she said and now that I was exposed, I wouldn't be able to see the kids again. Also her temperment has gotten even nastier with age. Lots of things were said under her breath (as if the entire room could not hear them) and it was just a really, negative experience and extremely hard for me to deal with. Luckily, that night my friend Mike came to rescue me, I was brought to the amazing place known as 24 hour bagel for my one and only glorious bagel of the trip. We then went to NYC and saw The Book of Mormon. AMAZING show. I haven't laughed that hard in YEARS. It really helped me balance out the negativity of the day. I then returned to my foster parents house to learn I get to sleep on the couch, which means no privacy, lots of noise from clocks and coffee makers (and I'm a heavy sleeper) and just an awkward situation.
What I learned on Thursday: Biting your tongue every 5 seconds sucks, but it can be done, however it really affects your mood and is physically exhausting. I will never own a coffee maker because they are loud, or a clock that chimes, that's just annoying. Matt Stone and Trey Parker are geniuses.
On Friday I began to plan my escape. Thanks to one of my best friends, Meghan, I had a new place to sleep as of Saturday. So Friday I had to suffer through a really boring day at the house with no means of escape. So I spent my day reading and getting ready, then took a train out to some extended family's house. My cousin Clare and her family are amazing people and I was really looking forward to seeing them. I took a 2 hour train ride from Long island, to Queens, then back out to Long Island because that's the only way to get there, but it was worth it. Trains don't bother me. I made it out there and I got to spend some time with Clare and 2 of her children, Katie, who I've been close with since we were young, and Becca, who has turned into a beautiful young woman since I last saw her as a tiny tot. We spent lots of time talking, i got to meet Katie's son, who is 6 weeks old and it was just a really happy, positive time. Also, I got to eat NY pizza. Yay! It was tons of fun, but sadly only a few hours as train schedules to that part of the island are sparse. Back on the train I went and back to the couch with the coffee maker and clock of doom.
What I learned on Friday: Babies have amazing powers and motherhood can be really wonderful for those who choose that path. My kindle is amazing as well and really helped me keep my sanity. my cousin and her family are truly wonderful and caring people, but I knew that, but reinforcement never hurts :-)
So finally Saturday comes (a big day), and this is the day where all the family is supposed to come out and that night is my party and my escape to Brooklyn. So that night/morning I was woken up by my foster Mom several times being sick, crying because she is weak, and being sick even more. I felt bad, but since I was banned from upstairs and I didn't want to get sick, I tried to sleep through it. The next morning I told my sister-in-law I didn't want her, my 6 month old niece, or my brother coming because the last thing we need is the baby getting sick. I wanted to protect her, because no matter what anyone claims, there was some serious nasty illness in the air, nasty where it could really endanger an infant. This will come into play later. So 2 of my sisters that I haven't seen yet are coming today, one with her kids. So I got to see my eldest nephew and eldest niece, both wonderful young adults. They've grown so much and they're extremely intelligent. I'm so proud of them and I'm glad I got to see them and spend a little time with them. Also, my sister Kathy and her husband Matthew, my blessings, drove 4 hours from Pennsylvania to see me!!! I was really looking forward to it and it meant a lot. I really enjoyed chatting with them too. Kathy gave me some rosary beads and a prayer card they had blessed for me and asked me to take it to Belize with me. They then offered me a ride to Meghan's, so I said my germ filed goodbye's and we then spent a nice long car ride to Brooklyn chatting and saying our goodbyes. Kathy and I both somehow kept our wits about us. I really thought either one or both of us was going to cry, but somehow we managed, even though I really wanted to. I'm really going to miss her. So I get to Meghan's and I see her and Sabi (her roommate and also my friend) and it's all happiness and excitement!!! We went out to dinner, came back, got ready then headed to the city for my Bon Voyage party. Several of my friends showed up and we drank, ate, wandered about and had a grand old time. It was AMAZING. I truly felt loved. So to all those who made the trek, Barry, Jake, Mike and Kel-Kel, thank you for coming. It was wonderful and I wish the night lasted forever. I love you all, truly. Eventually it was back to Brooklyn to wind down and eventually sleep.
What I learned Saturday: My eldest niece and nephew have grown into wonderful people, Kathy and Matthew continue to amaze me with how much love and respect they give to those around them, my friends are wonderful and I love them all, 24 hour diners in the city are wonderful, pineapples filled with alcohol are tasty, especially when shared.
Sunday was a nice lazy Sunday. We all slept in, but I got up reasonably early and read some of a book in my Kindle. I was supposed to meet my sister in law, baby niece, and brother that night for dinner. That quickly changed. I was talking to my sister in law and all systems seemed go, then she made me call my brother, who screamed at me because the whole family was there Saturday with my sick foster Mom. Everyone there was an adult, did not have the immune system of a 6 month old and kept their physical distance. He then cussed at me, told me how disgusted he was with me for going to the Peace Corps, that he didn't want me anywhere near his daughter, etc. so loudly that Meghan could hear it in the other room and Sabi who was in the same room was just shocked because she could hear every word. After about 2 minutes, I just hung up, surprisingly with my wits about me and walked away from my phone. He called back, but I never answered. I stood by that and my friends stood by me and my decision, which was nice. I informed my sister-in-law briefly of what happened and that I would no longer be in contact with any of them. I feel bad because the baby didn't do anything to deserve this, but that's a toxic situation and I want no part of it. The rest of the day was spent going to brunch and watching tv/movies with the ladies. It was a wonderful lazy Sunday.
What I learned Sunday: Sometimes, you have to make your own family. Meghans' infamous words reinforced :-) Brunch is amazing and I learned what compote is, and that it's tasty.
Monday was a nice, stress free day. Meghan took off of work and we went to MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) in the city. It was a wonderful time wandering around and checking out all the exhibits. I got to see Van Gogh's starry night!! I also got to see a lot of Pollock, Warhol and Picasso. It was nice. We then went to a coffee shop, did some shopping (where I got some cute things for Belize) and met up with Sabi for dinner in Brooklyn. We all went back to the apartment, spent some time together and I prepped for departure the next morning.
What I learned on Monday: Starry Night is at MOMA, MOMA is awesome, NY pizza is still awesome, my friends are still amazing and I'm really lucky to have them.
Finally my trip is coming to an end, HOMEWARD BOUND! I got up early and went with Meghan to the train. We split up in Jamaica and off I went to JFK, 6 1/2 hours early. I checked my bags and went through security quickly. I then found a nice place to eat breakfast and decided to have a mimosa. The bartender was a really nice guy, we talked about my Peace Corps adventures, his life, my life and it really is amazing the people you meet in airports. I've always liked airports because I felt they were magical. A place where so many journeys begin and end. A place where chapters of peoples lives are opened, closed, expanded. A place for reunions and new beginnings. I enjoyed my time in JFK, talking to the restaurant staff and my new bartender friend. He asked for my info, so I gave him this blog site and my e-mail address. Who knows, maybe I'll hear from my new friend :-) If you're reading this, it was wonderful meeting you and I do hope to hear from you. Eventually I made it home and I was exhausted. I did a little packing and lots of TV watching.
What I learned on Tuesday: Airports are magical, mimosas are deadly and you never know who you might meet. Also, I really missed being here in Ohio.
And that was my trip. If you've made it to the end of this, congratulations!! I owe you a cookie. I need to go to bed. Until next time, Peace Out!

0 comments:
Post a Comment