First post from Punta Gorda

May 29, 2011

Good morning all.

So, here’s the belated big update.

As you all probably know by now, I have received my final assignment and I am going to be working at the District Education Office in Punta Gorda Town (PG) in the Toledo district. I am super excited. I just found this out this past Tuesday.
Punta Gorda is a town of about 5,000 people and it’s right on the Caribbean Sea at the very southern part of Belize. You can see both Guatemala and Honduras from here (for real – not like how Sarah Palin says she can see Russia from her house). People here are very friendly, but there are a fair amount of tourists, so I have to set myself apart and make sure people know I’m a PCV and not just a tourist. I will also have to be flexible when finding housing, as housing is very expensive here and I may get overcharged because the landlord may assume I have money because they think I’m a tourist or because I am white. This is not meant to be racist, this is just the truth. It doesn’t matter what ethnicity you are, if you have an American accent, you’re rich. A Belizian will definitely be house hunting with me.

Also, my mailing address WILL be changing, so that will be announces soon. I can still get mail at the current address, but will have a new one soon as Belmopan is a 5 hour trip away and I will only be there every few months.

On Wednesday we had a few programs at the office and I had to pack my things to be sent to PG. Then on Thursday I got up super early and took the 5 hour trek to PG to meet my counterparts. They are wonderful and I’m really lucky to have such great counterparts.

On Friday I spent some more time with my counterparts and met my new host family. My new house is different from my last, but the family is very loving and kind.

Yesterday I spent the day with one of my counterparts seeing the town, the market on market day and some schools. We also went out to a Garifuna town called Baranco and saw a small museum there. Today I will be visiting some other places TBA with my main counterpart. I’ve got some time until that happens, as schedules change and I must remain flexible. Monday and Tuesday are unknown and I head back to Belmopan for my final 10 days on Wednesday morning.

That’s all I’ve got for now. I hope everyone is doing well. Keep writing me (I still like letters). Love you all. Until next time…

Peace Out.

Band of the Week – The Cranberries

Currently Reading – Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

0 comments:

Post a Comment