Pray for Rain

April 14, 2011
So, sorry I haven’t posted in a bit. As you probably surmised, I don’t typically have an internet connection.
First - a friendly reminder that if you want to see pictures, go check my facebook. They’ll be there and my albums are public. http://www.facebook.com/slevineightnine
So it still hasn’t rained since I got here. I’ll probably be kicking myself for being sad about that once rainy season hits and I cry myself to sleep during massive hurricanes. The song “Pray for Rain” by Massive Attack is consistently running through my head.
I’ve had a few lows, mainly involving issues with my host family and the PC staff and their role regarding the issues with my host family, but most of those have cleared up. We’ll see how the ones that haven’t resolve themselves. The projects are piling on though so hopefully those will be enough to distract me, captain Type A analytical learner from some of my frustrations. I’ve been keeping my head up though and I remind myself how blessed I am to be having this wonderful experience.
There are a few major things I’m looking forward too though, putting in the garden at the school, the health fair, PCV visit weekend, finding out what my final site will be, visiting my final site and in due time…VISITORS!!!! You should all be working on getting your passports right now if you don’t already have one.
Some things I’ve gotten used to are drinking obscene amounts of water, “Belizian/Caribbean time”, adorable geckos, cold showers, SOME bugs, the heat, waking up at 5AM and being asleep by 10PM, not being able to go out at night, malaria meds and understanding Kriol.
Some things I know I will never get used to no matter how hard I try are tarantulas, scorpions, giant grasshoppers that make obnoxious noises, snakes, bug bites and the bats that have a nest over my room and make scary noises, wake me up and give me nightmares – basically CREEPY CRITTERS!!!!!!
I’ve been able to do some cool things though. I’ve adventured around Camalote and Belmopan a bit as well. I got to spend a day at the Ministry of Agriculture learning about how to make organic insecticides and composting and learned a lot more Kriol, though I still sound like an American, but I don’t think that will ever change. Last week all of the PC’s and some host families went out and did KAREOKE at one of the only places in Belize that actually has Kareoke. I’ve also started a list of book s I’ve read, movies I’ve watched and random life goals. I will share said lists periodically as they are an ongoing process. Also, though I am still on a hunt for a guitar (which is only pointing to Guatemala right now) I did find a nice neighbor named Colin who worked with the PC in the past that will let me go practice on a guitar that’s just sitting around not being loved by anyone at his business, which happens to be right across the street.
I miss everyone in the states though. However, for those who don’t know, I do have this neat thing called a CELL PHONE. If you’re interested in calling me, incoming calls are free for me and I bought a ton of credits so I can actually call people too. Just contact me for that magic sequence of digits.
I also have a few requests for all my friends out there. The first one is simple. My file with everyone’s addresses got corrupted in the switch over to a PC so I need them re-sent. Send them either via facebook or to Harford.Stephanie.pcbz@gmail.com and then you shall receive mail in return. Along those lines, I like receiving mail, so please, send away! Some things I’d like to receive are:
-Letters filled with love from awesome people (pretty please)
-Books (Once read they will be donated to the PC library or a local school library)
-Other media
-Jigsaw puzzles
- Nutella
-Almond Butter
-Guitar tabs
-No ouchie hair ties
-Stationary and envelopes (so I can send mail! – no need to be fancy – loose leaf paper and envelopes work too)
- Band aid brand antibiotic band aids (they’re neon colored, you can’t miss them and they’re amazing)
-Equate (generic brand) contact solution
- Clean & Clear face wash
- High SPF sunscreen


Keep in mind you will be reimbursed for these items, it just may take several weeks for reimbursement to arrive in the mail.

To respond to one of my comments (which I read diligently): Stranger whose girlfriend is in PC with me here in Belize, who is your lady? This way at least I have some sort of reference point as to who you are 

I’m also making a promise to make these blog posts more frequent as well as more detailed and interesting instead of being written in a rush like this one.

Last, but not least, I’d like to give a random shout out to Jay’s Dad. Your son told me you read my blog so I promised him I’d give you a shout out. What’s up homeskillet?

I love and miss you all and I hope to hear from you all soon, so until next time…

Peace Out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment